Tuesday 14 January 2014

A Brilliant Birthday

Jessie and I on my birthday.
A couple of months ago I celebrated my first birthday after Melissa and I got separated. Of course it was going to be a bit of an emotional, low key event. Mind you, getting to my age, these occasions aren't events anymore, just a reminder that you're nearing retirement age, lol.

But Jessie had other ideas! How silly of me to think that my birthday will be a low key event. Not when Jessica de Vos is involved!! Oh no, she had other ideas, and that little 7 year old has a heart of gold and knows how to brighten anyone's day up and make an ordinary day, a special one.

Our day began with a bit of brunch in town. Jessie loves Frankie & Benny's and we were just in time to put last orders in on the breakfast menu. It felt right to treat Jessie on this day and she quickly indulged into a triple layer pancake with maple syrup. I opted for an ordinary English Brekkie. Then we swapped plates as the pancake proved just a little too much for my princess. She had no problem tucking in to my bacon and eggs though, lol.
Jessie & Billy at Walkabout

We then went to Build-a-Bear where Jessie chose a bear to be made for her and got him an outfit. She named him Billy and now he shares the same birthday as me! If you think it's hard going clothes shopping with a girl, try shopping for clothes with a 7 year old and her bear! We eventually walked out of there an hour later with a slight dent in my wallet! But it was worth every minute and penny!

England happened to play the All Blacks later that day and after initially inquiring at Walkabout if kids were allowed on the day, we made a reservation. We were welcomed with a certificate placed on our reserved table, including South African flags. A lovely touch by Bashka!

Nice touch by Walkabout
We had a great time and Jessie really enjoyed the atmosphere. She even stood up and did the Haka. That cost me a fiver too! After the rugby we were greeted by hundreds of people gathering outside in the Market Square. It was the switching on of the Christmas lights. We ended up staying there and enjoyed wonderful entertainment! And of course Jessie got to see Santa which in addition to the live music was undoubtedly the highlight for her. The countdown was followed by a huge "wow!!!" as the Christmas lights were all turned on.
The Big Birthday Bash!

That was followed by the private party at home. VIPs only. Jessie, myself and Billy the bear. Jessie brought her Happy Birthday hat with and we took turns in wearing it. Either the cake was very small or I'm just getting very old but there was a candle for every year on the cake and it covered it. Wax all over it but nothing a knife couldn't scrape off and Jessie loved it! She gave me the most special card earlier in the day, one which still brings a tear to the eye when I look at it each time. She sang to me and together we had a great party! One of my best birthdays, if not the best ever!


Having stuffed ourselves with chocolate cake, she asked that I save her some for the morning. I packed it away for her and she took it back home with her the next day. A piece for mommy and Blakey and a memory of a wonderful birthday with dad! For me, the most beautiful birthday card and most memorable birthday party ever. Jessie, myself and Billy! Priceless memories!

Jessie's card to me. Enough to bring a tear to the eye every time I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment